Ropa Via Wild Boar Recipe
Wild Boar Ropa Via
One of our favorite wild boar recipes, Ropa Vieja (ropa via) came originally from the Canary Islands, a Spanish territory where ships would stop before the long run to or after the long trip home from the Americas. This resulted in a culture that was an interesting mixture of Spanish and Caribbean cultures, and thankfully, food. Unlike other exotic meats, wild boar must be fully cooked. Also, wild boar is extremely low in fat, which means it can dry out easily when fully cooked. Once you learn to deal with the demands of wild boar meat, it is easy to prepare.
|6 – 8 pounds||Fresh Wild Boar Ham|
|1/2 each||Garlic; Cloves|
|1 tablespoon||Garlic Powder|
|1/2 tablespoon||Black Pepper|
|1/2 tablespoon||Onion Powder|
|1/2 tablespoon||Chili Powder|
|1/2 tablespoon||Mexican Oregano (chopped)|
|1/2 tablespoon||Thyme (chopped)|
|2 quarts||Black Beans (par cooked)|
|1 cup||Onion (chopped)|
|1 tablespoon||Garlic (chopped)|
|1 cup||Bell Peppers (red, green, and yellow; chopped)|
|1 cup||Celery (chopped)|
|1 each||Bay Leaf|
|1 tablespoon||Habaniero Peppers (chopped)|
|2 cups||Tomato (skinned, seeded, chopped)|
|1 cup||Leeks (sliced to 1/4 inch)|
|1/2 cup||Fresh Cilantro (chopped)|
|2 quarts||Chicken Stock (salt and pepper to taste)|
|6 cups||White Rice|
|6 cups||Cooked Sour Cream (to garnish)|
- Mix paprika, salt, garlic powder, black pepper, onion powder, chili powder, Greek oregano, and thyme in a bowl
- Debone the fresh ham, stud with garlic and cover with the spice mixture, add 1/2 inch of water to the pan.
- Cover and bake at 375 F for two hours or until the meat shreds easily.
- In a stock pot cook bacon until crisp and remove with a slotted spoon.
- Add the flour to bacon fat and cook to a chocolate brown color.
- Add onion, garlic, bell pepper, celery, leek and habanero pepper.
- Sweat the vegetables add the black beans, chicken stock, tomato, 1/4 cup cilantro and bay leaf.
- Bring to a simmer and cook for an hour.
- Adjust taste with salt and pepper.
- Place cooked rice on the plate and make a ring.
- Place a scoop of black beans in the center, topping with shredded meat.
- Garnish with sour cream and remaining cilantro.