If you’ve never eaten heart you are missing out, it’s good if done right.
Mmmmm… my mom used to make pickled venison heart when I was little. I love it and thought I would share the recipe. My moms side of the family is from the U.P. of Michigan and we LOVE to eat the pickled onions with the heart! Enjoy it.
- 1 venison heart
- 1 Head of garlic
- 2 small onions
- 3 cups vinegar (apple cider)
- 3 tablespoon of pickling spice (to be divided into 1.5 portions)
- 3/4 cup of sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon or teaspoon (depending on taste) Lawry’s Seasoned Salt
- 1 mason jar
- Boil heart in 8 Qt. water with 1.5 tbsp. pickling spices and 1 chopped onion for approximately 1 hour.
- In a separate pan, combine: 2 cups of water, 3 cups of vinegar, 1.5 tbsp. of pickling spice, 1 chopped onion and 3/4 cup of sugar.
- Bring the separate pan to a boil. Then, remove it from the heat source.
- Slice the boiled heart into bite-sized pieces.
- Add heart pieces to mason jar.
- Pour finished brine into mason jar, including onions.
- Shake the concoction and refrigerate it for 24 hours.
Protect Your Investment with Trip Insurance!
When you travel, especially when you are going on a hunt in a remote location, things often don’t go well.
With travel insurance through Travel Guard you’ll have valuable coverage that travels with you and your family. We’re America’s leading provider of travel insurance plans and assistance programs and we’re here to help you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, day or night, rain or shine.
Talk to an Outfitter about a hunt.
If you’re wanting some more information, just fill out the form and let us know what your questions are. Outfitters are looking forward to talking to answering your questions. If you’d like to talk to someone directly, or you’re ready to book a hunt now, give us a call at (208) 789-0740.