Pickled Venison Heart Recipe
If you’ve never eaten heart you are missing out, it’s good if done right.
Mmmmm… my mom used to make pickled venison heart when I was little. I love it and thought I would share the recipe. My moms side of the family is from the U.P. of Michigan and we LOVE to eat the pickled onions with the heart! Enjoy it.
- 1 venison heart
- 1 Head of garlic
- 2 small onions
- 3 cups vinegar (apple cider)
- 3 tablespoon of pickling spice (to be divided into 1.5 portions)
- 3/4 cup of sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon or teaspoon (depending on taste) Lawry’s Seasoned Salt
- 1 mason jar
- Boil heart in 8 Qt. water with 1.5 tbsp. pickling spices and 1 chopped onion for approximately 1 hour.
- In a separate pan, combine: 2 cups of water, 3 cups of vinegar, 1.5 tbsp. of pickling spice, 1 chopped onion and 3/4 cup of sugar.
- Bring the separate pan to a boil. Then, remove it from the heat source.
- Slice the boiled heart into bite-sized pieces.
- Add heart pieces to mason jar.
- Pour finished brine into mason jar, including onions.
- Shake the concoction and refrigerate it for 24 hours.
Call (208) 991-4868