How to Start Planning Your First African Safari
In this podcast we talk with African PH Botes van der Merwe about all the things a client should consider as they are planning their African safari. We talk about politics, money and the funny quirks of hunting alongside Afrikaans.
This is an episode you just have to listen to if you are interested in hunting in Africa (and you should be).
Resources and Selected Links from the Episode:
- Air 2000 – Hunter Support
- Bulls Eye Taxidermy in South Africa
- TED Talks – Lion Hunting in Africa
- Browse our African Plains Game Safaris.
- Interested in hunting the Big 5?
- Photo safaris in Africa.
- Talk to a hunting consultant about setting up a safari.
- Watch Africa hunting videos on our YouTube channel.
- Learn how to hunt in Africa on a budget.
- Ask Botes a question about hunting in Africa.
- Introducing Botes, South African PH [1:53]
- South African infrastructure is very modern since the Olympics in Johannesburg in 2010. [5:10]
- How to bring your firearms or archery gear to Africa, the process and forms you need to fill out. [7:00]
- Flying to Johannesburg, South Africa. How to pack. Preferred routes and prices. [8:30]
- Two of Marc’s experiences of travelling as an American and how other cultures perceive Americans. South Africa is a very friendly country. [13:38]
- Africans speak many different languages. [14:41]
- 4 to 5 star accommodations are standard in Africa. [16:52]
- Discussing the effort that Botes put in on his leopard hunt. Botes will work hard for you on your Safari. [18:40]
- The drive from the airport to the hunting concession. [20:00:]
- Discussing “the fence”, what it is for, how big the area is, and how it is a non-issue for hunters. [21:05]
- There are big, trophy kudu bulls dying of old age on Botes’ hunting concession. There are many bulls he has never even seen before. [23:48]
- Declaring your gear at customs. [25:13]
- Air 2000 Hunter Support will help you through the process at the airport. Their service is highly recommended by Botes. [26:00]
- Good items to bring to give as tips to the staff. [28:50]
- Marc and Botes discuss the gear you should bring on your safari. [30:10]
- Recommended rifle for plains game hunting. [32:00]
- Caliber to bring for the “Tiny 10”. (or rent a rifle while you are there) [33:20]
- Conversion rates and how prices in South Africa are very high. [34:44]
- Can you leave your expensive items as a tip? Is it legal? Is it preferred over cash? [36:21]
- Botes tells a story about why you should bring your own weapons as opposed to using your PH’s rifle. [38:03]
- Cecil the lion and the long lasting impacts of that situation. [40:00]
- Botes thinks Kudu is the “must have” animal when you come to Africa. [43:30]
- Why Africans hate baboons so much. [45:30]
- Botes says Spanish hunters love to hunt warthogs and Americans love to hunt baboons. [46:30]
- Male Bush Babies have HUGE testicles. [48:30]
- The size of the hunting concessions. [50:00]
- How many leopards are living in Botes hunting areas may surprise you. [51:00]
- The Limpopo province of South Africa. [53:40]
- Put a value on an animal and landowners will protect them. [54:50]
- Discussion on dangerous game hunting safaris. [56:13]
- Malaria is a non-issue in South Africa. If you do want to take the meds for it, Botes prefers the once-a-week tablet. [59:20]
- How much does plains game hunting in Africa costs, and the perimeter activities that non-hunting friends and family can do while you are hunting, or that you can do as a family. [1:00:47]
- How to get your trophies back home. [1:05:30]