High Densities of Goo Read more [...]
Hunting Trip Category: Elk
This is a quality, high success, lodge-based Wyoming elk hunt at a bargain price!
This is a lodge based, spot-and-stalk, Wyoming elk hunt with an 80% success rate on some BLM land along with private ground. If you hunt early, there is a very good chance that the rut will still be on. It is typical for the guides to bring the bulls in with a bugle or cow call. The early hunt is by horseback, but there is some access on ATV.
Located deep in the heart of some of the best wilderness hunting anywhere, this family owned outfitter brings over thirty years of experience to help give you the hunt of a lifetime. These hunts are based out of the outfitter’s lodge and you will ride horseback or ATV into where the elk are.
Early in the morning they’ll pull a trailer to one of various trailheads and head in on horseback or ATV. You’ll arrive in the hunting area just before daylight to start putting out some bugles to locate a bull. Once you’ve located a target, it’ll be on the ground hiking for the ambush. Shots on this elk hunt can be from 50 feet to 500 yards.
You will take lunches so you can spend the day in the mountains chasing elk. If temps get too warm and the elk are not responding, there are some great water holes with tree stands set up to hunt through the heat of the day. Another option is to get a nap under a tree and wait for the bulls to fire up again.
After the evening hunt, return back to the lodge for a great home cooked meal and stories from the day.
- This elk hunt opens on October 15 and goes through the end of the month. It’s on a lottery tag basis, so you need to apply in January (100% draw odds over the past few years).
- We have seen 80% harvest rates on 5 and 6 point bulls with averages in the 280-320 range over the past few years.
- There are some trophy mule deer in this region as well; we suggest carrying a tag, just in case. This can be a combo elk/mule deer hunt for just $500 more plus the cost of the deer tag.
- Guiding is 1×1, and they are mostly Wyoming natives who have grown up hunting fishing and trapping. They have years of time in these mountains and are experienced horsemen.
- Your guide will pick you up at the lodge with the horses in the morning, guide you on your hunt, and at the end of the day, they will drop you back off at the lodge for dinner.
Meals and lodging will be provided from time of arrival to the evening of the last day of the hunt. The lodge is located in Auburn Wyoming, where the hunt is based. Dinners are family-style with snack lunches out on the mountain. You will have a hot, but simple breakfast, usually in the form of a breakfast burrito or sandwich.Talk to an outfitter about a hunt
Call (208) 991-4868
Outfitter: Smoky Canyon OutfittersWeapon: RifleSeason: OctoberGuided: 1x1Hunt Features:
Accommodations: High End LodgingAmenities: Airport Pickup
- Combo hunt
- Guaranteed tags
- Average to good trophy quality
- Physically difficult
- Horseback hunt
- Wilderness hunt