Coues Deer Hunting is Addictive
There are some great archery, rifle and muzzleloader Coues hunts in Arizona.
Just like most mule deer hunts, expect to do alot of glassing. You’ll set up with good binos on a tripod and start picking the country apart. You will see A LOT of deer on all of these hunts. Once a good one is spotted, let the stalk begin. Hunters that have taken all the species in the “deer slam” usually consider Coues deer hunting one of most rewarding hunting experiences they have ever had.
If a guy wants to come on a fun hunt and see a lot of deer, you can’t beat a Coues deer hunt. You’ll see plenty of deer, and the trophy quality is great. An 80 -90″ buck is a very real possibility.” ~Cory Glauner
Trophy quality in Mexico is truly astounding, but Arizona is VERY good as well. Hunters can expect to see 80-90″ class bucks. Coues deer above 100″ are taken in Arizona every year. Hunting season for Coues deer in Arizona is August through the end of the year depending on the tag you draw and/or weapon you use. Success is usually high no matter which weapon or season you choose.
Arizona Archery Coues Deer Hunts
The early archery hunts are a little bit different as you will be sitting in ground blinds on trails, or over water and/or salt.
- Units: Statewide
- Seasons: Mid-Aug. through mid-Sep. / Early-Dec. through Jan. 31
- Archery coues deer hunting tags are Over the Counter (OTC). The highest success rate of these two hunts is the early hunt as the deer are coming into water and salt, however grunting and rattling works well during the late season. Spot and stalking archery Coues is very difficult but it can be done.
Arizona Rifle Coues Deer Hunts
- Units: 34A, 34B, 35A, 35B, 36A, 36B, 36C
- Seasons: Late-Oct. / Early-Nov. / Late-Nov. (7 day hunts)
- Draw these hunts easy, if you don’t draw though, you can almost always pick up a leftover tag.
Arizona Trophy Rifle Coues Deer Hunts
- Units: 6A, 21, 22, 23, 24A, 24B, 31, 32, 33, 36A, 36B, 36C
- Season: Early-Dec. through Dec. 31
- This hunt is a little tougher to draw, but its a great hunt. Expect to see 90-100″ bucks on this hunt, but you might just see something that goes over the magic 110″ mark.
Arizona Muzzleloader Coues Deer Hunts
- Units: 35A, 35B
- Seasons: Mid-Dec. through Jan. 31
- The draw odds on this hunt are around 20%. Any antlered Coues deer OR mule deer. High numbers of deer. You can expect to see 80-90″ inch bucks with the possibility of 100″+ Coues deer.