A fly-in DIY moose hunt for trophy bulls!
Here’s your chance to take a GIANT Alaska-Yukon moose at a fraction of the price of a guided hunt. Moose densities in this area are considered so high by the Alaska Department of Fish and Game, that they are concerned with over population and are allowing hunters to take ANY BULL the entire month of September!
Trophy bulls in 60’s are taken every year and success rates on 50″ – 65″ moose is 75%! If you have been looking for an affordable way to hunt huge Alaska moose, look no further.
This is a fun moose hunt and a great experience. It can be physically demanding and we recommend you allow yourself 10 full days of hunting to help insure you have an enough time to harvest a quality bull.”
More about DIY Moose Hunting in Alaska
The hunters who are successful get up before light, eat breakfast, and hunt hard all day. They eat lunch in the field, and return to camp after dark to eat diner. The day should consist of glassing and calling, while paying close attention to the wind direction. These areas are very conducive to calling and we recommend that you buy videos and learn to call before coming. This will go a long way toward the successful outcome of your trip.
Keep in mind, packing a moose is very physically demanding and is not for the weak or physically disabled. Most of the areas are 30% – 50% black spruce with meadows and tundra ponds. Walking on the tundra is far more difficult than walking on flat firm ground.
Success Rates and Trophy Quality
The genetics in the area are excellent and so is the food source which makes for a healthy growing moose population. Any bull can be taken in this area of Alaska, however the average moose in his prime will be upper 50″ – mid 60″ range Success rates on the unguided Alaska moose hunts are around 75% with an opportunity rate of 90%-100% depending on the year. These numbers are amazing considering this is a DIY moose hunt.
Hunters can hunt black bear, wolf and wolverine at no additional cost as long as they have purchased the tags before going into the field.
Fully guided Alaska moose hunts are also available with this outfitter, but they are booked out far in advance. If you are in decent shape, you should really consider a DIY moose hunt. You can’t beat the price on these unguided Alaska moose hunts! Physical condition is the Key…be in good shape.”
Unguided, DIY Moose Hunting Season and License Information
Alaska Fish and Game wants more moose harvested from the area and has liberalized the season to any bull during the entire month of September. This is excellent for our hunters because they can hunt the last two weeks of September when the rutting activities are much higher. This hunt is typically 8 – 12 days, but most hunters tag out and come home early. Early pickups are always dependent on weather and opening in the schedule.
License and Tags
This is an over-the-counter Alaska moose tag.
Fly Alaska Airlines from Anchorage to Bethel where you will be met by one of the outfitters’ staff. They will help make necessary arrangement from the time you arrive in Bethel until you depart. If you stay overnight in Bethel, the typical lodging expense is around $95 per person per night.
Since this is a fly-in DIY moose hunt, you can either provide all of the gear and food (most hunters ship it up ahead of time), or the outfitter will rent you the equipment you need and sell you the food you will take.
Hunt Reports from clients who’ve hunted with this outfitter:
If you have gone on a hunt with one of our outfitters, please submit a hunt report.
- Hunt Report | Michael Harvey Unguided Moose in Alaska - Trophy was Amazing, Overall Experience was amazing.
- Hunt Report | Mark Miller’s Alaska (self-guided) Moose Hunt -
Called five bull moose in the first three days can't thank of a better hunt than that.
- Hunt Report | Shaun Smith Drop Camp Moose Hunt - Hunt was everything we expected. It was definitely a tough hunt as we got hammered with rain, hail and wind almost everyday. Fortunately we stuck it out and were able to harvest two awesome moose.
- Hunt Report | Cody Kuck and His Dad have a Great Moose Hunt - If you're looking for a cost effective, DIY, Moose hunt, these are the companies you'll want to connect with OI to put it together for you or your group.
- Hunt Report | Tyler Crockett’s Moose Hunt - Moose hunting was slow, maybe due to late rut. I shot my bull the day after we were suppose to be picked up from camp.
- 5 Things to Know about Self-Guided Moose Hunts - We booked one of your self-guided moose hunts and have a few questions so we can be fully prepared for it. [Read more...]
- Hunt Report – DIY Alaska Moose Hunt -
As I sit and stare at the palms of my moose euro that sit on my wall, I can’t help but relive the experience. Alaska is an unbelievable place filled with unbelievable animals and they will never be forgotten.
- Hunt Report – DIY Alaska Moose Hunt Drop Camp -
This DIY Alaska moose hunt was everything I had hoped for. We were dropped off with a well equipped camp in a great area. We were in the moose the entire time and were able to harvest two good bulls with our bows.