In 1988 I took my first big game animal with a bow. I was sitting over a bait in central Idaho when, to my surprise, a bear slipped over the ridge and was soon standing at fifteen yards, offering me a perfect shot. Can you say “Hook, line, and sinker”, not only for a lifetime of bear hunting, but also a solidification of my bow and arrow. I knew at that point archery was my passion.
Many years and exciting adventures have passed by since taking my first animal with a bow. I continue to hunt black bear annually. The last two years I’ve been blessed to share this with my son and he’s taken two bears with his bow. I’ve hunted over bait for many years, but have really enjoyed some great spot/stalk hunts the last few.
In 2011 I hunted with one of our British Columbia outfitters. I had hunted with Jeff in the Edmonton bow zone for whitetail in the mid 90’s, but had not had the chance to experience his BC hunts. He guides for moose, grizzly and black bear in BC, and mule deer and whitetail in Alberta. In the past when I had asked him about his black bear hunting he always told me “you just need to see it to believe it”. Needless to say, he was right!
First of all, the country was awesome. The valleys were beautiful, overlooked by snow-capped mountains. To top off the incredible setting, the bear encounters were truly like nothing I had ever seen. BC doesn’t allow baiting so this is a spot/stalk only hunt. The morning and early afternoon is spent relaxing and shooting bows. The late afternoons and evenings are spent glassing and stalking bears. The bears are down out of the high country gorging on the fresh green-up. Considering the thick Cedar canopy, the grasses grow along railroad tracks, roads, fields and homesteads. Hunters do not need to be in great shape for this hunt. The bears are in the valleys so it is basically flat. This hunt is truly for any age hunter that likes the idea of stalking a black bear. The outfitter has experienced 100% success with his rifle hunters and 75% success with his bow hunters.
The week spent in BC was super exciting. I saw 7-12 different bears every day. Todd, my hunting partner and I had multiple opportunities. I was in bow range on 6 bears and ended up taking a beautiful black boar with my bow. Todd also had opportunities and ended up taking another great boar with his rifle. I have never seen so many bears in one area and I’m excited to share this hunt with my clients. If you’re looking for a great spot and stalk black bear hunt in some incredible country, this one will work. Give me a call or email me and I’ll be happy to share the details.
Browse our black bear hunts:
- Maine Black Bear Hunting Lodge - Traditional Maine black bear hunting lodge. This Outfitter hunts black bears over bait in Northern Aroostook county, Maine.
- Arizona Black Bear Hunts - Arizona Black Bear Hunts are known for their excellent trophy-sized, older age class black bear and high numbers of color phase black bears. This is a fun, different black bear hunting experience where you will be spot-and-stalk hunting for bears in the middle of the desert while they are feeding on prickly pear cactus.
- Hunt Report – Dad 0, Son 2 on BC Bears -
Hunt Report - Father/Son Bear hunt
Sorry to be so long winded, but, I wanted you all to know what an extraordinary trip I felt it was! Thank you all for everything! It was awesome and couldn't have been better! [Read more...]
- Trophy Alaska Moose Hunting - This moose hunting outfitter averages an 80% to 90% success rate yearly on trophy bulls up to, and some exceeding 60". He flies over his moose area almost daily, giving our clients a distinct advantage.
- Vessel-Based, Coastal Black Bear Hunting on Vancouver Island - British Columbia, vessel-based coastal black bear hunting near Vancouver Island, famous for it's world-class coastal black bear hunting.
- Unguided Alaska Moose Hunts - These DIY, unguided Alaska moose hunts can be a lot of work, but they are worth the effort, and the price will astonish you.
- Washington Bear Hunts - These spot-and-stalk Washington bear hunts on the Olympic Peninsula near Vancouver Island have the potential for a real trophy bear. Washington has the highest bear population in the lower 48, and these Washington bear hunts on the Olympic Peninsula give our hunters a great chance at a trophy coastal black bear.
- My Husbands Bear Hunt - Hi Russ, Thank you so much for hooking my husband up with the right bear hunting outfitter. Jesse enjoyed his trip very much the Tom, his staff and the accommodation. I heard all about his trip for days! lol Well he did get his bear and also enjoyed the mountains and the scenery. Thank you […]
- Utah Black Bear Hunting with Hounds - Utah Black Bear Hunting with his outfitter offers exclusive black bear hunting rights on several hundred thousand acres. This is a hound hunt, and you can expect color phase bears. Most Utah bears are color phase black bear, cinnamon, brown, and some blonde. They generally square 6 1/2 to 7 1/2 feet and score 18″ to 21″ B&C. Utah black bear hunting can be in the Spring or Fall.
- British Columbia Black Bear Hunt - This British Columbia Black Bear Hunt is in an exclusive territory of 1.6 million acres. Success is at or near 100% yearly! A bonus on this hunt is that it is a TWO BEAR area. This is a great spot and stalk black bear hunt. *The outfitter speaks fluent German and has special packages available for European hunters.
- Hunt Report | Thomas White BC Black Bear - Thomas White – Austin, Texas Spring Black Bear Hunt in British Columbia – May 8 – 15, 2016 How I rate this hunt: I am very likely to refer my friends to Outdoors International about this hunt. The outfitters pre-hunt communication was excellent. Overall trophy quality was excellent. The outfitters lodging was excellent. (rustic but comfortable) The […]
- British Columbia Bear, Moose Combo Hunt - This is a black bear/moose combo hunt during the prime moose rut. This hunt takes place from mid-September to the end of October, when the moose are responding to calling.
- Washington Moose Hunting - We HIGHLY suggest that you start applying for a Washington moose tag in units 117, 121, 108, or 101. Once you draw, CALL US! This outfitter is awesome and takes some truly monstrous shiras moose.
- Archery Colorado Elk Hunting - This is an over-the-counter archery elk hunt in Colorado that gives you a chance to hunt truly giant bulls for a big bull price.
- Alaska Grizzly Bear Hunt - This outfitter took the new SCI World Record grizzly bear. Grizzly populations are at all time high and hunter success for past five years has been 90% with average hide squaring over 8′. This is "THE hunt to go on" if grizzly is the primary trophy on an Alaska combo hunt.
- Colorado Elk Hunts on a Private Ranch - The neat thing about this ranch is that it holds a good number solid 6x6 bulls. What truly makes it special though, is that every year they take a few world class, monster bulls at a "regular" bull price.
- Outfitter Report – Frank Church Wilderness Bear Hunt - Outfitter Report - Frank Church Wilderness Bear Hunt
Our spot-and-stalk spring black bear hunts are absolutely outstanding. The backdrop is a scenic camp deep in the Frank-Church River of No Return Wilderness. [Read more...]
- Outfitter Report | British Columbia Bear Hunting - Once again, our 2015 ended with another successful British Columbia bear hunting season. The spring season ended with happy hunters and some incredible bears. The success always amazes me. BC does not allow baiting so this is a spot and stalk hunt. If you haven’t had the opportunity to stalk into close proximity of a […]
- Idaho Black Bear Hunts - This is an Idaho spring black bear hunt over bait in the Selway-Bitterroot Wilderness. One of the only places in the lower 48 where you can have two tags in your pocket. Many hunters will have the opportunity to take two bears.
- Hunt Report | Brandon Couchman’s Washington Bear Hunt - Great hunt, great guides on our Washington bear hunt. Weather was a challenge, but my hunting partner and I still got the Job done!
- Idaho Elk Hunting on a Private Ranch - This is some great elk hunting on private land in central Idaho. With over 60,000 acres to hunt on, this outfitter manages his elk herds very well and produces some outstanding bulls every year.
- Idaho Black Bear Hunt on Private Land - Fall spot and stalk Idaho black bear hunt on the Whitebird Ranch in Idaho's hunting unit 14. Very high number of color phase black bears.
- British Columbia Black Bear Hunts - This is a bowhunter friendly outfitter, but he offers great rifle hunts as well. His area boasts of some of the best habitat for black bears in British Columbia, plus it has a prolific salmon run in the fall which brings bear in for miles. This is a spot and stalk hunt and you will see multiple bears every day.
- Idaho Spring Bear Hunts (combo with turkeys) - These Idaho spring bear hunts / turkey hunt combos take on a private ranch in Idaho's hunting unit 13. This is a cool bear hunt, they usually bear hunt only in the evenings and then turkey hunt in the mornings when the birds are coming out of roost.
- British Columbia Roosevelt Elk Hunting - If you're searching for someone who can deliver on extreme trophy quality for Roosevelt Elk, we recommend you look at hunting British Columbia with this Outfitter.
- Archery British Columbia Moose Hunts - If you're a bowhunter, this is a great option for your moose hunt. Bowhunting is this Outfitters' specialty, but they do offer rifle moose hunting as well.
- Alaska Coastal Black Bear Hunts - Alaska vessel based, coastal black bear hunts in Prince William Sound. Cruise coastal shorelines in Unit 6 glassing for black bear.
- Cory Arrows an Ancient Idaho Bruin - My 2016 bear hunting season was one for the books. Hunted down to the wire, and on the last evening, Russ and I were surrounded by giant bears, and I was able to arrow my biggest black bear to date. I was lucky enough to make a stalk and take this ancient old brute whose […]
- Color Phase Bear Hunt in British Columbia - This is a great hunt for BC Black Bears and Color Phase Bears! This area has A LOT of color-phased black bears ranging from 5 to 7 1/2 feet with some weighing as much as 500 lbs. The healthy population of black bears and color phase bears makes this one of the best hunting experiences in British Columbia.
*if you don’t see a hunt here that interests you, be sure to contact us so we can help you find one.