In 1988 I took my first big game animal with a bow. I was sitting over a bait in central Idaho when, to my surprise, a bear slipped over the ridge and was soon standing at fifteen yards, offering me a perfect shot. Can you say “Hook, line, and sinker”, not only for a lifetime of bear hunting, but also a solidification of my bow and arrow. I knew at that point archery was my passion.
Many years and exciting adventures have passed by since taking my first animal with a bow. I continue to hunt black bear annually. The last two years I’ve been blessed to share this with my son and he’s taken two bears with his bow. I’ve hunted over bait for many years, but have really enjoyed some great spot/stalk hunts the last few.
In 2011 I hunted with one of our British Columbia outfitters. I had hunted with Jeff in the Edmonton bow zone for whitetail in the mid 90’s, but had not had the chance to experience his BC hunts. He guides for moose, grizzly and black bear in BC, and mule deer and whitetail in Alberta. In the past when I had asked him about his black bear hunting he always told me “you just need to see it to believe it”. Needless to say, he was right!
First of all, the country was awesome. The valleys were beautiful, overlooked by snow-capped mountains. To top off the incredible setting, the bear encounters were truly like nothing I had ever seen. BC doesn’t allow baiting so this is a spot/stalk only hunt. The morning and early afternoon is spent relaxing and shooting bows. The late afternoons and evenings are spent glassing and stalking bears. The bears are down out of the high country gorging on the fresh green-up. Considering the thick Cedar canopy, the grasses grow along railroad tracks, roads, fields and homesteads. Hunters do not need to be in great shape for this hunt. The bears are in the valleys so it is basically flat. This hunt is truly for any age hunter that likes the idea of stalking a black bear. The outfitter has experienced 100% success with his rifle hunters and 75% success with his bow hunters.
The week spent in BC was super exciting. I saw 7-12 different bears every day. Todd, my hunting partner and I had multiple opportunities. I was in bow range on 6 bears and ended up taking a beautiful black boar with my bow. Todd also had opportunities and ended up taking another great boar with his rifle. I have never seen so many bears in one area and I’m excited to share this hunt with my clients. If you’re looking for a great spot and stalk black bear hunt in some incredible country, this one will work. Give me a call or email me and I’ll be happy to share the details.
[widgets_on_pages id=”AGENT FORM – Russ”]
Browse our black bear hunts:
- Alaska Coastal Black Bear Hunts -
Vessel Based Black Bear Hunting in AlaskaThese Alaska vessel based, coastal black bear hunts are conducted in Prince William Sound in Alaska Unit 6, where big 6-7 foot black bears are the norm.
Learn more | Ask about this hunt
- Idaho Spring Bear Hunts -
Idaho Black Bear Turkey Combo Hunt
- Idaho Black Bear Hunt on Private Land -
Idaho Black Bear Hunt
- British Columbia Black Bear Hunts -
British Columbia Black Bear Hunts - Spot and Stalk
- Idaho Black Bear Hunts -
Idaho Black Bear Wilderness Hunt
- Maine Black Bear Hunting Lodge -
Maine Black Bear Hunting Lodge - Fall Hunts Over Bait
- Outfitter Report | British Columbia Bear Hunting - Once again, our 2015 ended with another successful British Columbia bear hunting season. The spring season ended with happy hunters and some incredible bears. The success always amazes me. BC does not allow baiting so this is a spot and stalk hunt. If you haven’t had the opportunity to stalk into close proximity of a […]
- British Columbia Black Bear Hunt -
British Columbia Black Bear Hunt
- Hunt Report – Dad 0, Son 2 on BC Bears -
Hunt Report - Father/Son Bear hunt
Sorry to be so long winded, but, I wanted you all to know what an extraordinary trip I felt it was! Thank you all for everything! It was awesome and couldn't have been better! [Read more...]
- Arizona Black Bear Hunts -
Arizona Black Bear Hunts - Spot and Stalk
- British Columbia Coastal Black Bear Hunting -
British Columbia Vessel-Based Coastal Black Bear Hunting
- Washington Bear Hunts - This spot-and-stalk black bear hunt on the Olympic Peninsula has the potential for a real trophy bear. Washington has the highest bear population in the lower 48, and these Washington bear hunts on the Olympic Peninsula give our hunters a great chance at a trophy coastal black bear. Washington also offers two bear tags per […]
- British Columbia Bear, Moose Combo Hunt -
British Columbia Bear, Moose Combo Hunt + a Wolf!
A great British Columbia bear/moose combo hunt. Expect 40-50" moose and big color-phase black bears. Bowhunters welcome!
Learn more | Ask about this hunt
- Utah Black Bear Hunting -
Utah Black Bear Hunting - Hound Hunt for Color Phase Bears
- Outfitter Report – Frank Church Wilderness Bear Hunt - Outfitter Report - Frank Church Wilderness Bear Hunt
Our spot-and-stalk spring black bear hunts are absolutely outstanding. The backdrop is a scenic camp deep in the Frank-Church River of No Return Wilderness. [Read more...]
*if you don’t see a hunt here that interests you, be sure to contact us so we can help you find one.