Record Elk Found Stuck in Mud Alive in Minnesota

Record elk found stuck in mud in Minnesota

On December 12, 2010, Ryan Muirhead was whitetail hunting on the final day of Minnesota’s muzzleloader season. What he found was a huge 9 x 10 record elk pinned flat on its back, alive, with its massive antlers stuck in the mud. Even though the elk found stuck in mud was still alive and he was able to free the monster, it died from the ordeal two days later.

Record Minnesota elk found stuck in mud
Record Minnesota elk
The elk found stuck in mud green-scored 475 5/8 gross, with a net of 456 4/8 on the Boone & Crockett scale. An updated score will be forthcoming after the 60-day drying period, and a special judging panel convening in 2013 would need to weigh in before anything becomes official. But based on the green score alone, the elk ranks as the third largest nontypical record elk in the world and the largest ever in Minnesota.

“We were planning to go out for the morning watch, but it was just too cold at 25 below,” he recalls. “We decided to drive around and see if anything was moving.” While driving to their hunting area, they spotted a bull elk stuck in mud, kicking in the snow. “He was on his back, chest heaving, steam pouring from his nose,” Muirhead recalls. “He’d been kicking for quite a while and he was worn out.” The huge bulls antlers were stuck in mud which pinned its head to the snow. “He’d stuck himself like turtle upside down. No way he was moving.”

They knew that something needed to be done. “He was an old bull and he wasn’t going to live forever, but you don’t want to see him die like that if you can help him.” They ran down a rancher, who supplied a two-by-four, which they used as a lever to pry the rack from the ground. “It took a few minutes, but we finally got him three-quarters of the way turned and he flopped over and staggered off. You could see by the holes in the ground how his antlers had been dug down in the mud 8 to 10 inches.”

“His legs were like Jello,” Muirhead says. “He kind of staggered to the fence and fell down. We all backed off and let him be. His back leg was bloody where he’d been kicking his antler, his chest was heaving. You could tell was worn out and not happy that people were close to him.” After resting a few minutes, the bull stood and began walking toward the woods.

After whitetail hunting the rest of the day, he couldn’t get the bull out of his mind. “I just had to go back; I knew he wasn’t going to make it far.” On Tuesday, December 14, Muirhead returned to the site with his wife, Josie. They found the bull 600 yards back in the woods. “He was hunkered down in the willows, and we got within 40 yards before he picked his head up and looked at us. He didn’t try to run. He was coughing, wheezing. He probably had pneumonia from being on his back that long in the cold. You could see where he’d dragged himself 25 yards through the snow to get back in the willows. At that point I knew he was done.”

Since the bull was on state land, Muirhead knew his best chance of claiming the rack was to be there when the animal died. For the next six hours he watched the elk from a distance. “It was sad to see a wild animal like that not be able to get up and run and do what he wanted to do. He’d pick up his head every now and then, but he could barely lift that rack. And finally he just stopped picking up his head. To stand there and watch him die, it was tough. It’s tough to see.”

Muirhead contacted the Minnesota DNR, and a conservation officer took the carcass in for a necropsy. Punctures were found in the skin cause by a broken rib and by drop tines that were pinned against its back while it lay upside down. “Being on its back for a couple of hours doesn’t work well with a large animal,” Huener says. “I really can’t imagine there would have been much to do for the animal. I’m guessing the initial impact of falling on its back pretty much did it in.”

The DNR praised how Muirhead handled the situation. “Calling the DNR was the right thing, because this was the only way he could possess the animal legally. Now he can have it mounted with pride and have all the proper paperwork.”



    • Outdoors International says

      Only other think I can think of is if he was rolling in the mud scratching his back and got stuck… I think your theory is more likely though.

  1. Chris Cantler/ aber taxidermy says

    Incredible bull! Hate to see something that magestic die that way. Glad Ryan gets to mount it… Jim at sportsmans taxidermy will do a great job!

  2. Crayfish says

    He could have been wallowing in the mud trying to rub his back on the ground and then got his antlers stuck, however, they usually don’t do that in the Winter, mostly during hot weather and during rut. The mud helps keep bugs off too.

  3. jeremy says

    Bigjim there is wild elk in minnesota! Not many but a few! And I don’t think the dnr would be concerned if it was a high fence elk! Nor but reconized as a trophy animal

  4. says

    What a story!, my son and I were bow hunting Roosevelt Elk in Washington State in 2010 when we found a very large dead bull, he tagged it to legally claim the rack ( I had already killed an elk during an early archery season ). The bull is a new Washington State youth record, and will also be one of the largest Roosevelt Elk tagged by a youth hunter in B & C all time Record Book. Never did figure out how the bull died, just bones and a really big rack when we found him, he sure looks good on the wall, Happy Hunting.

  5. says

    Cory Glauner I posted the pic on my FB page, couldn't figure out how to send you a friend request, shoot one to me and I'll accept it so you can see the pic ( and many more)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>