North American Sheep Slam… It’s Possible. Here’s How.
Are you a dyed in the wool sheep hunter? Does sheep fever course through your veins? I know it does mine.
I have been lucky enough to harvest great Dall and Stone Sheep, and have had the opportunity to help guide on a number of Desert, California and Rocky Mountain Bighorn Hunts. Yet, no matter how many opportunities I get to pursue these amazing creatures, I still find myself daydreaming about them each and every day. I am not totally sure what it is about sheep hunting that gets so deep into the core of some hunters, is it the amazing scenery, the sheer difficulty of the hunt, the limited opportunities or the amazing sight of these animals in their native habitat.
Regardless of what it is, the fact is sheep fever is a very real thing… and the North American Sheep Slam is on almost every hunters’ bucket list.
The downside to sheep fever is that most of us are limited by cost and draws in our opportunities to pursue them and slake our fever induced thirst. But the fact is with some planning and diligence most of us can put ourselves in a position to complete a FNAWS or Slam depending on which camp you fall into.
Here are a couple of things that you can start doing now to make your sheep hunting dreams a reality:
- Put in for as many of the draws as you can afford and stay with it. If you are diligent you will pull a tag, on average it will take between 8-12 years to pull a tag depending on the state and the trophy quality.
- Play the raffles. In many states you actually have better odds of getting drawn in their raffle drawings than you do out of the normal draw pool, so set aside some money to put in for the different raffles as you never know when the hunting gods will smile on you.
- Set up a hunt savings program!!! I wish I would have done this back when I was young and single as I would have a pretty nice hunting budget these days. Look at setting up an investment account to build a long term hunting budget and make it a goal to put at least $100 a month into something like a mutual fund. For shorter term goals, you may want to just set up a savings account that is automatically transferring a certain amount each month until you reach your target amount.
- Book a hunt now for a couple of years down the road. Nothing like firm commitment to force you to save money.
- Sell old gear to jump start your investment program.
- Win the lottery… ok just kidding, but for a sheep hunter how nice would that be?
Your dreams are only your dreams until you start to take action, then they become your objectives, and objectives are achievable with some planning and hard work.
Feel free to contact me if you want help booking your dream hunt, or just need some help on developing a strategy to make your dream a reality. Make sure to ask us about our sheep hunts.
Hunt Hard, Shoot Straight.
Browse Our Sheep Hunts:
*We have also included Aoudad Sheep in this list. Aoudad hunting is “real sheep hunting” and the best value in the sheep hunting world.
- Alaska Dall Sheep Hunt – Chugach Mountains Unit - Trophy Alaska Dall sheep hunt in the famed Chugach Mountains unit. Success is excellent on 36″-39″ rams with trophy dall sheep going 40″+.
- Mexico Desert Bighorn Sheep Hunting - No Draw. Finish Your Grand Slam With a Mexico Desert Bighorn. Desert Bighorn Sheep hunting in Sonora Mexico offers a guaranteed 100% shooting opportunity! Look no further if you need a Desert Bighorn sheep to finish your Grand Slam or if you simply wish to hunt one of the hardest trophies to come by in North America.
- Idaho Bighorn Sheep Hunting in Unit 26 - These Idaho Rocky Mountain Bighorn Sheep Hunting camps are located in the heart of the rutting and wintering area. This sheep tag is fairly easy to draw, and this Outfitter is a great choice for hunters who buy the Idaho Auction Tag. If you've drawn an Idaho sheep tag in Unit 26, contact us now!
- Utah Bighorn Sheep Hunts - Utah bighorn sheep hunts are hard to draw, but you can buy a tax deductible conservation bighorn sheep tag.
- Blandford Urial Hunting in Pakistan - A few years ago, this outfitter collected a 34 inch Blandford urial that turned out to be #1 SCI World Record at the time. But the following year, they took two 35″ and one 36″ Urial rams, breaking the world record three times in one season!
- Alaska Dall Sheep Hunting - Dall sheep hunting can be challenging and this hunt is no exception, but we don’t know of any other dall sheep hunt where you can sleep in a warm cabin. There are also over-the-counter tags available for this sheep hunt in the Alaska Range.
- West Texas Aoudad Hunt - This is a very special aoudad hunt on a 22,000 acre ranch in West Texas with VERY high numbers of good rams. In fact, most of the rams we saw were in the 30" range.
- Stone Sheep Hunting in British Columbia - This British Columbia Outfitter consistently gets hunters on great Stone Sheep Rams. In fact their average ram over the last 6 years has been 37 inches with 13 1/2 inch bases. Combo hunts are available.
- Dall Sheep Hunting in the Alaska Arctic Refuge Wilderness - You will see Dall Sheep almost every day, Trophy Rams, superb guides, 500,000 acre exclusive guide area the opportunity to add Arctic grizzly, caribou, fishing and wolves, plus over-the-counter tags. That all adds up to one incredible adventure!
- Dall Sheep Hunting Alaska - Spectacular dall sheep hunting, Alaska has quality rams and this outfitter hunts in some of the best trophy dall sheep areas. Due to rugged terrain and limited hunting pressure and access, dall sheep numbers and quality have been doing well. The average ram taken by this outfitter is heavy-horned and around 37”.