Ibex hunting isn’t for the faint of heart.
Ibex live in the roughest, most remote areas of the world. Hunters must be in shape, be ready to endure obstacles, and ready for an adventure if they want to go Ibex hunting. Closes related to sheep, all of the capra species have excellent eyesight and hearing which makes them a challenge to hunt, respected by hunters.
The pinnacle of ibex hunting for many hunters is the Capra World Slam, which requires 12 different species (subspecies) of goats, ibex (capra) and tahr.
Browse our Ibex Hunts
Successful Ibex Hunters
Subspecies of Ibex
- Alpine Ibex – The Alpine is found in the Italian and French Alps, southern Germany, Switzerland and Austria. It has also been introduced to Bulgaria and Slovenia.
- Altai Ibex – The Altai is closely related to the Gobi ibex and is found in the mountains of northwestern Mongolia, near the borders of Russia and China.
- Beceite Ibex – Beceite or “Southeastern Spanish” ibex is found in Spain.
- Bezoar Ibex – The Bezoar can be found in Afghanistan, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia, Iraq, Iran, Russia and Turkey. It has also been introduced to the Florida Mountains in New Mexico.
- Gobi Ibex – Gobi are closely related to the Altai Ibex, and live in the the southern part of the Gobi Altai Range of Mongolia.
- Gredos Ibex – The Gredos or “Western Spanish” ibex is found in Spain and Portugal.
- Himalayan Ibex – The Himalayan are found in Pakistan.
- Kri-Kri Ibex – The Kri-kri is now only found on the island of Crete, Greece and a few small islands just offshore.
- Mid-Asian Ibex – Mid-Asian can be found in good numbers throughout the mountains of Kyrgyzstan.
- Nubian Ibex – The Nubian is found in the deserts of Algeria, Israel, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, Oman, Egypt, Ethiopia, Eritrea, Yemen, and Sudan.
- Persian Desert Ibex – The Persian Desert is found in Iran, and is sometimes classified as a Bezoar.
- Ronda Ibex – The smallest of the Spanish ibex, the Ronda is found in southern Spain.
- Sindh Ibex – The Sindh is common in southern Pakistan.
- Tien Shan Ibex – The Tien Shan is found in the Tien Shan mountain range of Kyrgyzstan.