With magnificent scenery, fantastic fresh air, and a terrain that ranges from river valleys teeming with spawning salmon, to a shoreline full of whales and walrus, Alaska Peninsula brown bear hunting is one of the best hunting experiences in the world.
The Alaskan brown bear looks and acts just like the North American grizzly (Ursus arctos horribilis). In fact, most scientists consider both grizzlies and brown bears to be the same species. However, because of their environment, the management of the area, and the abundant food source, the Alaskan brown bear can be considerably larger than the average American grizzly. Ranging up to 10 ft and weighing in excess of 1,000 Ib, nowhere else will a hunter get such a monstrous trophy than on an Alaska peninsula brown bear hunting trip.
With an abundant brown bear population, the Alaska Peninsula is a great place for coastal brown bear hunts. The State of Alaska carefully manages the Peninsula region and neighboring Kodiak Island for trophy quality, and most hunters are amazed at the size of some of the animals that come meandering along the shoreline. And as long as Alaskan brown bear hunting guides are followed, there should be no reason to return from the Peninsula disappointed.
The Alaska brown bear is no easy game animal, though. He has keen senses and can pick up human scent from miles away. As with most bears, the Alaska brown bear is generally nocturnal, so the best time to hunt is early morning and late afternoon. Hunters need also to be wary of such large predators. The brown bear’s strength and agility are incredible. They are proficient climbers and with a running speed far exceeding even the fastest human sprinter, surprising or facing an injured bear is not something many hunters live to talk about, so it’s essential that attention is paid to the Alaska brown bear hunting guides accompanying most organized hunts.
When and Where to Hunt
The State of Alaska manages the Peninsula with a reduced hunting season. Hunts are yearly and last two weeks, with a spring hunt held in May in even numbered years (2012, 2014, 2016 etc), and a fall hunt held in October in odd numbered years (2012, 2015, 2017 etc). A restricted number of hunters are permitted on Kodiak Island, but as with most of Alaska, each hunter may take only one brown bear every four years, which often leads hunters into difficult decisions when it comes to shooting, such as deciding whether to take a seven-footer, or wait and hope for something larger to come along.
The Alaska Peninsula is also a tricky place to get to. It covers in excess of 40,000 square miles from the Kuskokwim Valley on the Pacific coast to the Revelation Mountains in the east. Choosing a good hunting organization is crucial because of the logistics and the need for an Alaskan bear guide to ensure success.
During the spring, Outfitters normally set up camps ready for when the bears come down from the mountains looking for food. Alaska Peninsula brown bear hunting involves a lot of waiting and watching for bears. Once a potential trophy is spotted, the bear is stalked and intercepted on his way down the mountain. Things are a little different in the fall as the bears spend the time travelling from one salmon hole to another. More often than not, camps have to be moved to accommodate the movement of the bears.
Because of the ferocity of brown bears, injuring one is not something any hunter wants to do, so making sure the correct ammunition is used is essential for hunting on the Alaska Peninsula. At a minimum, most Alaskan brown bear hunting guides recommend a .338 Winchester Magnum cartridge, although some hunt organizers insist on .375 Holland & Holland Magnum. Besides the ammunition, good, warm clothing is needed in both fall and spring as the weather on the Peninsula can be awful, but the hunting certainly more than makes up for it.
Check out our Brown Bear Hunts:
- How to Prepare for Backcountry Elk Hunting
- New Mexico Antelope Hunting on Private Land
- South Africa Safari for Plains Game
- Black Death in the Limpopo
- Wildlife ‘WikiLeaks’ targets poaching in Africa
- Wyoming Elk Hunting on Private Ranches
- Utah Elk Hunting with Land Owner Tags
- Idaho Bowhunting Elk
- Arizona Elk Hunting – Early Archery & Rifle Hunts During the Rut
- Colorado “Estate” Elk Hunting from a World-Class Lodge
- Idaho Archery Elk Hunting (Combo with Mule Deer)
- Colorado Antelope Hunts on Private Land in the Eastern Plains
- Utah Antelope Hunt on Private Land
- Custom Hunting Gear Lists
- A Conversation with an Anti Hunter
- Roosevelt Archery Elk Hunting in Oregon
- T.A.G. Bags Game Bags Review
- Successful British Columbia Bear Season
- Preparing for Cape Buffalo with a Bow
- Kershaw Taskmaster Saw Review
- Top 5 reasons to Hunt Whitetails in Idaho
- Moose Subspecies in North Amercia
- Things You Should Know Before Booking a Moose Hunt
- How To Resole Your Kenetrek Boots
- COME HUNT AFRICA WITH US!
- Bighorn Sheep Ewe Hunt in Nevada…. What’s Up With That?!?!
- VIDEO: Russ Meyer’s Last Minute Arizona Muley
- South African Adventure Hunt for Trophy Cape Buffalo
- British Columbia Caribou Moose Combo Hunts
- An “Epic” Sheep Hunt by Butch Whiting
- Russ Meyer’s Archery BC Black Bear
- Why I Train To Hunt
- Follow in the Footsteps of Jack O’Connor! Stone Sheep Hunting.
- Stone Sheep Hunting in British Columbia
- Wyoming Hunting for Mule Deer
- HUNTING VIDEO: We Were Accepted Into The Full Draw Film Tour
- Wyoming Mule Deer Hunting, Archery, Spot & Stalk and Blinds
- New Zealand Hunting for Red Stag, Tahr, and Chamois
- One of the Best Elk/Mule Deer Outfitters in Utah and Wyoming
- Want a Truly Big Mule Deer?
- SPECIAL PRICE: Red Stags The Monsters of Middle Earth
- North American Sheep Slam… It’s Possible. Here’s How.
- VIDEO: Vapor Trailin’ Aoudads
- Campbell Cameras Video School
- VIDEO: Bowhunting Grizzly Bear and Caribou in the Arctic
- Trophy Mountain Goat Hunts in Northwest British Columbia
- A Successful Ibex Hunt in Kyrgyzstan
- VIDEO: You Should Consider a North American Red Stag Hunt
- Marc Hunts Huge Manitoban Elk in Quebec, Canada
- Desert Sheep. In Search of the SLAM!
- Getting Started Hunting Out West
- New Record SCI Grizzly Bear Taken by One of Our Outfitters!
- Our Top 4 Most Affordable Archery Elk Hunts
- Hunting Late Season Bulls in New Mexico
- Arizona Trophy Coues Deer Hunts
- New Mexico Elk Hunting: Landowner Tags on Private Ranches
- Watch out for Archery Elk Flu!
- So you say you wanna hunt mountain goats?
- How to Choose the Right Caliber
- Mule Deer Hunting in Utah and Wyoming
- Washington Moose Hunting for Shiras Moose
- Manitoban Elk – Estate Hunt in Quebec, Canada
- Red Stag Hunting in Canada – A Great Alternative to New Zealand
- Newfoundland Moose Hunt Review
- Unguided Alaska Moose Hunts
- Oregon Deer Hunting for Trophy Mule Deer
- Hunting With Your ATV: What’s Needed
- Hard Earned Elk in Beautiful British Columbia
- Best Apps for Hunting Outfitters
- Texas Whitetail Hunts for Estate Trophy Deer
- Gathering Gobblers: The Basics Of Turkey Hunting
- Capra World Slam
- Asia 8 SCI Continental Award
- Ethical and Environmental Hunting: Is Hunting Green?
- Hunting Land vs. Farmland: How to Prepare Your Land for Hunting
- Texas Mule Deer with Your Bow
- Idaho Elk Ranch Hunt
- Elk Hunting Gear for Early Season
- Quebec Caribou Hunting
- Hunting Age Requirements for Each State
- How Our Hunting Consultants Service Works
- A guide to booking a good muley hunt
- Ron Elkin on His First Black Bear Hunt – Outfitter Report
- Self Guided Mule Deer Drop Hunt – Client Review
- Elk Hunting During the Rut is Cool!
- Wyoming Preference Points. If you’re a hunter, you should apply.
- Five things to think about before planning your deer hunt
- 2013 Kryptek Gear Lineup
- High Fence Elk Hunts. Are they for you?
- Cape Buffalo – The Most Dangerous Game?
- Africa is One of the Coolest Places in the World!
- Our Top 5 Dream Hunts
- Scoring Aoudad Sheep
- History of Aoudad Sheep in Texas
- How to Call Moose
- New World Record Whitetail – The Johnny King Buck
- Texas Mule Deer Hunts | Trophy Desert Mule Deer in West Texas
- Texas Barbary Sheep Hunting (Aoudad) in West Texas
- Kryptek Hats and Headwear Line-up For 2013