Desert Sheep. In Search of the SLAM!
If you are like most sheep hunters you probably started off with a Dall Sheep hunt or with drawing a Rocky or California Bighorn tag, and then….it happened, you got bit by the sheep bug. I have been fortunate enough to take a great Dall and a really nice Stone Sheep. Still waiting to draw my Bighorn Tag here in WA and then I will figure out the dilemma that faces most sheep hunters – the quest for a Desert Bighorn.
Desert sheep are one of the most sought after species of bighorn sheep as a result of their limited range and even more limited opportunities to hunt. For some of us we will only be able to pursue this dream if we get lucky enough to draw a tag, but if you start early and plan, even with the hunts getting more expensive, you can save up enough to pursue one of these magnificent animals in Mexico where you don’t have to wait 20+ years to draw a tag.
We work with some tremendous outfitters who consistently take great rams in Sonora, South Baja and even the magical place known as Tiburon Island. Just be prepared for the price, if you are thinking you can go do one of these hunts for $15-$20,000 I hate to inform you, its not going to happen. Most of these hunts are going for $55,000+ so if someone is offering you a desert sheep hunt for a lot less than this, be very careful. One cool option to undertake a hunt that will be very similar to a Desert Sheep hunt is a free range Auodad hunt which are around 10% of the cost of a Desert Bighorn.
Most Desert Bighorn hunts are conducted on foot because of the terrain these animals choose to inhabit. These are not physically easy hunts, so you should look at doing a program like Train to Hunt to make sure you get the most out of this hunt of a lifetime, because there is nothing worse than watching the Ram of a lifetime go sauntering over the ridge because you were too out of shape to cut him off.
Our outfitters are extremely successful at what they do and they strive to take care of you both on and off the mountain. Their goal is to get you an opportunity at your dream ram and make sure you have a fun, safe and adventurous time doing it.
So, if you are bound and determined to complete your slam and you have the means to go on one of these hunts in Mexico, make sure and give us a call as we can set you up with some of the best outfitters in the business.
by Shad Wheeler
Check Out Our Sheep Hunts
- Alaska Dall Sheep Hunt – Chugach Mountains Unit - Trophy Alaska Dall sheep hunt in the famed Chugach Mountains unit. Success is excellent on 36″-39″ rams with trophy dall sheep going 40″+.
- Mexico Desert Bighorn Sheep Hunting - No Draw. Finish Your Grand Slam With a Mexico Desert Bighorn. Desert Bighorn Sheep hunting in Sonora Mexico offers a guaranteed 100% shooting opportunity! Look no further if you need a Desert Bighorn sheep to finish your Grand Slam or if you simply wish to hunt one of the hardest trophies to come by in North America.
- Idaho Bighorn Sheep Hunting in Unit 26 - These Idaho Rocky Mountain Bighorn Sheep Hunting camps are located in the heart of the rutting and wintering area. This sheep tag is fairly easy to draw, and this Outfitter is a great choice for hunters who buy the Idaho Auction Tag. If you've drawn an Idaho sheep tag in Unit 26, contact us now!
- Utah Bighorn Sheep Hunts - Utah bighorn sheep hunts are hard to draw, but you can buy a tax deductible conservation bighorn sheep tag.
- Blandford Urial Hunting in Pakistan - A few years ago, this outfitter collected a 34 inch Blandford urial that turned out to be #1 SCI World Record at the time. But the following year, they took two 35″ and one 36″ Urial rams, breaking the world record three times in one season!
- Alaska Dall Sheep Hunting - Dall sheep hunting can be challenging and this hunt is no exception, but we don’t know of any other dall sheep hunt where you can sleep in a warm cabin. There are also over-the-counter tags available for this sheep hunt in the Alaska Range.
- West Texas Aoudad Hunt - This is a very special aoudad hunt on a 22,000 acre ranch in West Texas with VERY high numbers of good rams. In fact, most of the rams we saw were in the 30" range.
- Stone Sheep Hunting in British Columbia - This British Columbia Outfitter consistently gets hunters on great Stone Sheep Rams. In fact their average ram over the last 6 years has been 37 inches with 13 1/2 inch bases. Combo hunts are available.
- Dall Sheep Hunting in the Alaska Arctic Refuge Wilderness - You will see Dall Sheep almost every day, Trophy Rams, superb guides, 500,000 acre exclusive guide area the opportunity to add Arctic grizzly, caribou, fishing and wolves, plus over-the-counter tags. That all adds up to one incredible adventure!
- Dall Sheep Hunting Alaska - Spectacular dall sheep hunting, Alaska has quality rams and this outfitter hunts in some of the best trophy dall sheep areas. Due to rugged terrain and limited hunting pressure and access, dall sheep numbers and quality have been doing well. The average ram taken by this outfitter is heavy-horned and around 37”.